Rule change for 2009
Whether you like it or not, effective immediately, there is a significant rule change relating to how a free-hit may be taken.
According to the Sydney Hockey website, the essence of the changes are: -
- A “self-pass” from a free hit has been introduced. It enables the player taking the free hit to play the ball again after taking the free hit which will encourage free-flowing hockey. You are not allowed to simply dribble it.
- On free hits within the attacking 23 metres (usually known as the 25 for us more aged players):
- everyone must be at least 5m from the person taking the free hit,
- any free hit awarded within 5m of the circle must be taken back to 5m from the circle (think of the broken circle line),
- these free hits must travel at least 5m or be touched by another player before being played directly into the circle.